Friday, September 28, 2012



This week I spent approximately 3 hours with student going over linear equations with slope intercepts problems. Learning sessions took place while at home with minimal distractions. Student was having problems with understanding the linear equations of point slope and slope intercept formulas.  The tutoring took place over 3 different sessions M, T and TR. 

Student wasn’t getting the concept of Y = MX + B given one or two points. I asked him to plot several points on different sheets of graphing paper. He wanted to estimate by slope by counting squares. I told him to graph the 3 slopes his way while I used the slope intercept form to do the same three points. I was finished in approximately 3 minutes while he spent 7-10 minutes on the counting of squares and estimating the slope. After comparing answers, He got 1 out of three correct and I got all three correct. Student worked with M= y2-y1/x2-x1 to slope and plug this in to either point using y=mx+b formula. 

I felt confident that after going through the above mentioned steps that he understood the linear equation to solve slope intercept by using the correct formula. What I could improve on is maybe expanding this lesson into using more points. Slope intercept is pretty straight forward and seems it may be hard to improve on.

The challenges I worked through was habits of trying to read the chart without using the formula. What seemed practical to student wasn’t correct and using an interactive approach and alternative ideas to student seemed to work as discussed in this week’s article. I also believe I worked in changing the student model as discussed in week four’s article altogether changing his perception on how to get the correct answer.

1 comment:

  1. Kurt, it seems that the student has a strong mental model of slope through counting the squares on the graph paper. Try to consider using this as a resource through comparing this technique and the point-slope technique. The two are related -- what are the benefits and challenges of each? time, accuracy, etc.

    ReplyDelete