Thursday, October 4, 2012

week six



This week I spent approximately 2 hours with student going over linear equations with slope intercepts problems. Learning sessions took place while at home with minimal distractions. Student was having problems with understanding the linear equations of point slope and slope intercept formulas.  The tutoring took place over 3 different sessions M, T and TR.
I continued to work with student on algebra and some social studies work. I did talk to student about his group studies at school. He had a high opinion of them in his anatomy class saying his teacher makes it fun and sometimes has competition with it. He showed  dislike for it in his other classes as he states that they are mismatched groups, and teacher doesn’t interact when doing projects.
As I only have the one student I am not able to use group participation to but I can speak from my past experiences. The biggest issue as stated prior was that it is sometimes hard to get everyone to participate. I have also had some good experiences with group participation as long as everyone had participated and was clearly motivated. I believe when completing team tasks all can well when it is considered a normality to work in groups. If (in college) many students don’t trust or know the group members well enough to always want to give it 100%.

1 comment:

  1. Kurt, I'm glad you asked your student about his perspective. The interdependence and accountability issues are important to be dealt with so that all students are encouraged to fully cooperate.

    ReplyDelete