Sunday, September 2, 2012

1 Sept 2012,

Spent two hours total with student going over algebraic and ROTC modules for the week of 27 August 2012 through 1 September 2012. The learning sessions took place while at home without any distractions to avert student's attention. The lessons were broken up into approximately half hour settings to allow for student to keep focus with each subject area while making sure each area satisfied the criteria that his teacher required of him.

During the study time the student was very interested in learning how to figure out how to use algebraic formulas to get the result to various problems. The student has a tendency to want me to give him the formula and work it out with him, but I put the question back to him hoping for him to take the initiative to work it out himself. I realized that once he picked the correct formula, he had a sense of pride in himself to want do it again. I did very little in the assistance to working the problem once he started to gain confidence. However in the ROTC module we went over rank structures of the military and was able to give him insight with why the structure exists.

One of the ways I believe that I could improve is to look over his lesson plan before sitting down to study. I could refresh and come up with questions and research different study aides that may help him other than going with the way that  I am used to doing it. His teacher has different methods that I was trying to explain to him. I had revert to his notes to understand how he was being taught to complete the problem.

One of the ways to improve is along the Questioning and Discussion article is to ask the question better prepare the plan of study and ask questions that would make him think before throwing back a response. Questions like why would you use that formula, or which formula corresponds to the subject question.

No comments:

Post a Comment